Once logged into the room, you should see a screen open that looks something like this:
Here, there are a few main areas to take note of:
- Main toolbar
- Attendees pod
- Layout toolbar
- Chat pod
- Video pod
The Layout toolbar on the side of the window will toggle between two Layouts – the “Video” layout (suited for classes only using Adobe Connect for video conferencing) and the “Sharing” layout (suited for classes where a PowerPoint, document, or other material is being shared in addition to video conferencing. If you toggle to the “Sharing” layout, you will see the screen change to resemble the following, which includes a pod for sharing documents and slides to both classrooms:
To Enable the Camera:
- Make sure that the Samsung/Hover camera is powered on (you should see a glowing blue ring on the base).
- Click on the webcam icon in the main toolbar.
- If the “Adobe Flash Player Settings” window pops up, click “Allow.”
- In the Video window you will see a preview of the camera image. You may need to physically adjust the head on the camera to get the best possible image and angle for the classroom. You will also need to click “Start Sharing” before anyone else will be able to see your camera feed. Once the other location has performed these same steps, you will be able to see their camera feed as well
To Enable the Microphones
- On the main toolbar, click “Meeting,” then select “Audio Setup Wizard...”
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the Audio Setup Wizard.
- When you get to the “Select Microphone” page of the wizard, make sure that the option that says “Line-in” is selected.
- Proceed through the rest of the wizard.
- On the main toolbar, click “Meeting,” then select “Preferences…”
- Select the “Audio” tab on the left-hand side.
- Make sure that “Use Enhanced Audio” is checked, “Full Duplex” is selected, and “Automatic Gain Control” is checked. Click “Done” when these items have been set.
- Once back at the main window, you will need to click the microphone icon to actually turn on the microphone. You will know that it is on when it turns green and has flickering lines next to it (to indicate audio signal levels).
To Share Content
Materials such as a PowerPoint slides, PDF documents, or images can be shared natively inside the Adobe Connect window. This is the easiest method of sharing content with both classrooms in real time. These materials can be loaded into the virtual room before the actual class session begins, by either of the site managers, or (preferably) the instructor for the course. Keep in mind that if loading the material into the room ahead of time, the instructor could do this from the convenience of their own computer at any time, not necessarily in the classroom.
- In the Layout Toolbar on the right side of the window, select the sharing layout.
- In the Share pod that becomes visible, click on the down arrow to reveal the additional options. Select “Share Document.”
- In the window that pops up, click on “Browse My Computer…” and locate the file you would like to share.
- Once the material is visible on the screen, you can control it by clicking the left and right arrows that appear on the bottom of that pod.
To End a Session
Adobe Connect sessions are automatically ended when all the users exit the “room” (by closing the browser windows on their computer). The users can manually be prompted to leave by the host selecting “End Meeting” under the “Meeting” tab on the main toolbar. Return the wireless microphones to their charging station and power off the teaching station as you normally would.
To Record a Session
As long as the classroom microphones are being used for the audio (instead of a conference phone line), the entire session that takes place over Adobe Connect can be recorded.
To begin recording a session, click on “Meeting” at the top of the Adobe Connect window. Select “Record Meeting…” and give this class session a name (it is recommended that you include the time and date of the session in the recording name). The session will continue with a red circle in the upper-right corner of the screen to indicate that it is being recorded until you either close the session, or manually stop the recording by clicking on the red circle and selecting "Stop Recording."
To Access Recordings
The recordings are managed by whoever initially created the Adobe Connect room. That user will need to do the following:
- Log into your Adobe Connect account (http://connect8.indwes.edu) and select “Meetings” from the very top of the screen.
- Select the room in which the recording took place.
- Toward the right side of the screen, click on the “Recordings” tab:
- Locate the recording, and select the check box next to it.
- Click on the “Make Public” button. The padlock icon under “Access” will change from gold to gray.
- Click on the recording title.
- You will see a “URL for Viewing” listed. This link can now be copied and distributed to anyone who you would like to view the recording. Anyone who has this link will be able to view the entire recording.