Multiple Email Accounts / Separate PST Files
These instructions will result in creating 2 separate pst files, one for everday use, and the other for occasional use. The benefit of having 2 pst files is that its easy to separate content for transport, backup, etc.
CREATE NEW PST:
You will want to create a new pst file, saved to any location.
- Select FILE > NEW > PERSONAL FOLDERS FILE
- Choose a name for the new file and save in default folder.
- Rename folder with a unique name, such as "Home Account" or "Hotmail".
- Choose COMPRESSIBLE ENCRYPTION
RENAME OLD PST
- Select Outlook Today (Personal Folders)
- Right mouse click, then select PROPERTIES.
- Click the ADVANCED link (in the bottom right)
- Rename accordingly (like work, or IWU)
SETUP MAIL ACCOUNTS
Follow the standard procedure for setting up pop mail accounts except for the account which needs occasional access… Uncheck the (Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing) option.
SETUP RULES WIZARD
- click TOOLS > RULES WIZARD > NEW
- click MOVE MESSAGES FROM SOMEONE then immediately hit NEXT
- Make sure that WHEN RECIEVED FROM A SPECIFIED ACCOUNT is the only box checked
- In the rule description area, click the specified account link, and choose the account that applies (the account that is only going to be checked occasionally.
- Click the link that specifies where the messages will be moved to: -- and find the pst that we created earlier. This is where the messages will be moved from that account
- Hit next until rule is created, and make sure rule is turned on.
Since we unchecked the box in the account settings that says to include when checking mail and synchronizing, it will only check mail from that account when specifically called upon…
- Click TOOLS > SEND AND RECEIVE
- Select that specific account - to check the mail when necessary; the mail will automatically be separated and sent to a separate pst file for easy transfer, backup etc.