Rules for the creation and use of passwords.
Basic security for University data is a primary concern for all . The use of a password is one of the key ways to protect this data. This policy applies to faculty, staff, and students as well as any others who use data and equipment at Indiana Wesleyan University. Users will be held accountable for activities linked to their accounts.
Users must follow IWU standards for passwords. The minimum requirements are:
- Password must be used for all devices and software.
- Must be eight or more characters long. (Each additional letter increase the strength of the password)
- Do not use complete words as your password.
- Must contain a minimum of three types of characters (lower case, upper case letters, special characters or numbers).
- Must be changed periodically (at least once a year if not more).
- Do not share passwords. This includes temporary workers or student workers.
- Screen Savers using password protection should be activiated within 30 minutes of inactivity.
- If you leave your desk for a period of time please make sure your computer is locked.
- University desktop/laptop computers must be logged off when not in use during non-work hours.
This policy will affect faculty, staff and students.
21-Mar-2012 - This policy is a draft and is not yet in effect.
Data Policy 400.07.04
Chief Information Officer
Chief Financial Officer
There are no known exceptions to this policy at this time.