Skip to main content
Indiana Wesleyan University Support Knowledge Base

Transportation Policy





Implemented – September 2008


Revised --

Related Policies:

IWU Driver Applicant Questionnaire

Vehicle Take Home Policy

Responsible Official:

Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning



Members of the Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) community engage in many activities requiring transportation to other locations. To accomplish this transport safely, IWU owns and maintains a large number of vehicles of various types and frequently rents or charters other vehicles as well. The University is committed to protecting both the vehicles and especially the people involved in these trips. The following policies have been instituted to preserve from harm both persons and property and to provide fair and safe usage of the vehicles. University Departments may establish more, but not less, restrictive transportation policies for their own departments.


I.  Definitions


1.         Accident – unexpected events that result in personal injury or damage to vehicles and property.


2.         Authorized Driver - A University employee, or a non-University employee on official University business and who has been authorized in writing by an appropriate University official, who meets the following conditions:


a)         Meets the requirements for the class of vehicle being driven. 


b)         Has successfully completed the authorization process and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check and is included on the Authorized Drivers List.


3.         Authorized University Business – The use of a University Fleet or University Motor Pool Vehicle for travel related to employee responsibilities, teaching, research, and student and staff activities that relate specifically to Indiana Wesleyan University. 


4.         Approved Rental Provider – A common commercial rental agency, including but not limited to Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Thrifty, National Car Rental, etc.


5.         Chartered Bus services - Transportation Services should be contacted with requests for charter bus service as necessary.


6.         Class I vehicles - any vehicle designed as a pickup truck, sedan, coupe, or minivan, with a gross vehicle weight under 10,000 lbs.


7.         Class II vehicles - any light duty trucks or cargo vans designed primarily for cargo, not passengers, with a gross vehicle weight over 10,000 lbs., whose driver does not need a Commercial Driver’s License but is required to have a physical on file every two (2) years. These vehicles typically are larger, heavier, and more unstable than Class I vehicles, with a wider turning radius and greater stopping distances when loaded.

8.         Class III vehicles - any vehicles designed to carry from eight (8) to twelve (12) passengers, but whose driver is not required to have a Commercial Driver’s License.  These vehicles also are larger, heavier, and more unstable than Class I vehicles, with a wider turning radius and lengthy stopping distances when loaded. Most accidents with this type of vehicle occur when a driver swerves suddenly or backs up.  These vehicles when combined with a trailer require drivers to pass a physical exam and be at least 21 years old per Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) regulations.


9.         Class IV vehicles - any vehicles that require the driver to have a Commercial Driver’s License (large trucks, buses, etc.), or have passenger accommodations for 16 or more persons.


10.        Employee - someone hired through the Human Resources department for full or part-time work


11.        Non-licensed Vehicles - vehicles that are not licensed for road use may not be driven on public roads, except over very short distances when needed for property access.


12.        University Fleet - vehicles owned by the University that are assigned to specific departments.


13.        University Motor Pool - vehicles owned, rented, or chartered by the University.  Personal vehicles are not considered a part of the motor pool or fleet.


14.        Usage Rates - a per mile or monthly cost charged back to the department using the vehicle based upon miles driven, vehicle type, and use.


II.          Vehicle Registration and Identification


1.         University vehicles, including those operated by University-related organizations, shall be registered and licensed in the name of Indiana Wesleyan University.


2.         University vehicles, except executive vehicles and vehicles used for special purposes (i.e. undercover police cars and authorized rideshare vehicles) shall be conspicuously identified as the property of Indiana Wesleyan University to be operated for official use only.  Identification shall be achieved by use of a decal attached to the door or rear of the vehicle.  Decals or other markings shall be standardized on a University-wide basis

3.         No other decals, stickers, signs, or plate holders shall be placed on any University vehicle, except that which the President shall authorize on a case-by-case basis.


III.         Driver Qualifications and Training


Only Authorized Drivers are permitted to drive fleet or motor pool vehicles. Additional qualifications and training are as follows.


A.         Driving Qualifications


1.         Class I vehicles:


a)         Have at least one year licensed driving experience in the United States (not including experience under a driver’s permit).


b)         Provide a photocopy of a current driver’s license, issued by one of the 50 United States or Federal Territories.


c)         Complete and submit the Transportation Services’ “Driver Application Questionnaire” located at or by going to the IWU Family Home Page, clicking on Departments, then Facilities Services, then Forms, and then Driver Application Questionnaire.

2.         Class II and Class III vehicles:


a)         Meet the requirements of the Class I vehicles (above).


b)         Watch the “Van Safety” video and pass the test associated with the video.


c)         Pass a road handling and driving test administered by Transportation Services, including a trailer safety component if a trailer permit is to be issued. This test may only be attempted twice within a calendar year.  Trailer permits include passing a physical exam and being at least 21 years of age per D.O.T.


3.         Class IV vehicles:  All those seeking a driving permit for Class IV vehicles will need to apply through and be approved by the University’s Human Resources Department.


B.         Driver Disqualification


The Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning or his/her designee reserves the right to deny or revoke driving privileges for failing to adhere to University policy. The driving history of all University Authorized Drivers is subject to periodic Motor Vehicle Record reviews. All Authorized Drivers are under a continuing obligation to immediately notify the Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning or his/her designee should they be involved in any major or minor violation as listed below.  The University reserves the right to deny or revoke driving privileges for the following reasons:


1.         Major Violations: If in the last three years preceding a driver’s application, the driver has ever

received any one of the following:


a)         Conviction for reckless or negligent driving.


b)         Hit and run or failure to stop after an accident.


c)         Major Speeding (20 mph over limit).


d)         Homicide/Involuntary Manslaughter while operating a vehicle.


e)         Using a vehicle in the commission of a felony.


f)          Conviction for alcohol and/or drug-related driving offense.


g)         Refusal to submit to blood alcohol test.


h)         Knowingly driving on a suspended or revoked license.


i)          Resisting law enforcement using a vehicle.


j)          Unauthorized use of a University fleet or motor pool vehicle.


k)         Loan to another person or department a University vehicle checked out to them.

2.         Minor Violations: If in the last three years preceding a driver’s application, the driver has been convicted of three or more moving violations, including but not limited to:


a)         Failure to yield at an intersection, stop sign, or traffic device.


b)         Altered license or unlawful use of license or permit.


c)         Any passing violation


d)         Failure to yield to an emergency vehicle


e)         Driving on the wrong side of the road or wrong direction


f)          Speeding (less than 20 mph over the limit)


3.         Accidents: If in the last year preceding a driver’s application, the driver was at fault in more than two accidents in the past 365 days.


4.         Preventable Accidents by Student Drivers: Any authorized student driver, whether or not an employee, of a University vehicle involved in an accident that is determined to have been preventable will automatically lose driving privileges for 365 days. However, if an accident investigation determines that


a)         The student was not legally at fault in the accident; and


b)         The student was driving defensively; and


c)         There was nothing further that reasonably could have been done by the student to prevent the accident,


d)         Then the student may apply to the Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning or his designee for reinstatement.

                                                         C.         Appeal, Reinstatement, and Probation


1.         Authorized Drivers whose driving privileges have been revoked or suspended by the University may apply for reinstatement not less than 180 days following the revocation or suspension. The Executive Vice President or his/her designee, along with the Office of Risk Management, will conduct a review and may (but are under no obligation to) allow probationary reinstatement of driving privileges.  Requests for reinstatement will be based on an improved MVR, successful completion of a court-ordered defensive driving course, or other evidence demonstrating that the driver is qualified to operate a University vehicle in accordance with this policy.


2.         Unsuccessful applications for reinstatement may only be appealed once per calendar year.

D.         Duration of Driving Authorization


Unless revoked for reasons cited above, Indiana Wesleyan University driving authorizations are valid:


1.         For employees: for the duration of their employment, subject to periodic Motor Vehicle Record reviews and applicable revalidation as outlined in Section E below.


2.         For non-employees: if a student, until they are no longer enrolled, as long as 1) an acceptable current Motor Vehicle Record and 2) photocopy of his or her current driver’s license is on file each year, and 3) the student signs each year that they have read and understood the current University transportation policies and have filled out the “Driver Application Questionnaire.” If a non-student, continuing authorization is considered on a case-by-case basis.


E.         Revalidation of Driving Authorization for Employees


In order to maintain an Indiana Wesleyan University driving authorization, employees must:


1.         Fill out and submit the “Driver Application Questionnaire” on a yearly basis.


2.         Submit a photocopy of his or her renewed driver’s license in years of license expiry.


3.         Have an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record on file.


IV.        University Vehicle Usage and Reservations


University vehicles are intended to be used only for Authorized University Business and activities and only by Authorized Drivers.   Not every use of a University or personal vehicle, which involves University employees or students, may be considered Authorized University Business.  Only those uses which meet the criteria of this policy and which have been authorized in accordance with this policy will be covered in the University’s insurance policy.  All other uses, including unauthorized use and unapproved or unplanned use may expose the user to legal liability and disciplinary action in accordance with University policy.


A.         Authorized University Business


1.         University motor vehicles shall only be used for Authorized University Business.  Examples of authorized uses include:


a)         Travel between places of University business, places of temporary lodging, places to obtain meals, and/or other locations necessary to perform University employment-related duties;


b)         Operation of a University motor vehicle when on a travel-related employment assignment (including, but not limited to, pick-up and return of a vehicle and necessary commuting);


c)         Travel related to the University's public engagement, teaching, and research programs, including to/from the site of the planned activity/event;


d)         A University employee who may be required to commute to/from their place of employment (see “Personal Use” below). The reasons for such use must be documented and annually approved by the employee’s Vice President; and

e)         Transport of individuals as described below.


2.         Individuals who may be transported within a University motor vehicle, driven by an Authorized Driver include:


a)         Participants of the University's public engagement, non-student teaching activities, and research programs, including to/from the site of the planned activity/event;


b)         Campus shuttle and commuter bus service provided exclusively for University faculty, staff and students;


c)         Passengers in University police vehicles, related to official University police business;


d)         Recruits to the University (for example, job applicants, athletic and faculty recruits, including their family members);


e)         Performers/guests of the University, including but not limited to, faculty, members of peer institutions, researchers, etc., including their family members;


f)          University Board members, their guests and family members;


g)         Donors or potential donors, their guests and family members; and


h)         Students participating in official events and practices, including to/from the site of the planned activity, such as athletics and music performances.


B.         Authorized Use


1.         The operation and use of University vehicles is limited to Authorized Drivers.


2.         University vehicles shall be used only for Authorized University Business.


3.         Persons who drive University vehicles must be qualified and authorized for the class of vehicle being driven, and driver qualifications must be current and up to date at all times.


4.         Responsibility for determining, authorizing, and controlling use of University vehicles by non-University employees on Authorized University Business is the responsibility of the Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning or his/her designee.


C.         Unauthorized Vehicle Use


1.         Use of a University vehicle without proper written authorization by appropriate University officials.


2.         Unauthorized possession of a vehicle beyond the established rental period.


3.         Use of a University vehicle outside of the United States without prior authorization.


4.         Off-road use of on an on-road vehicle without prior authorization.


5.         Commissioning or use of a University vehicle in violation of the University Community Lifestyle Statement, including use or possession of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or pornography.


6.         Use of a vehicle for unauthorized or personal business.


D.         Student Users, Student Organizations, and Ministry Teams


1.         Students, student organizations, and student ministry teams may rent motor pool vehicles for pre-approved Authorized University Business and activities. Such trips must demonstrate a bona fide connection to the University’s mission and address specific objectives in character, scholarship, or leadership.  All Vehicle Etiquette (Section VI) and Trip and Route Safety (Section VIII) rules must be observed, and no one may operate a University vehicle who is not authorized to operate the class of vehicle (including trailer permit) and who has not been named in the trip plan.

2.         The organization or student leader must first make arrangements with and receive approval from their Division, Campus Activities, or Ministry Team officer, who must request the vehicle on their behalf.  The University employee requesting the vehicle on the students’ behalf shall include the name of the Division, Campus Activities, or Ministry Team officer who has approved the trip, and shall certify on the request form that the trip is for Authorized University Business.


3.         If the proposed activity involves students traveling unaccompanied by a University employee (i.e. ministry teams, experiential learning, mission trips, etc.) for overnight travel, then an “Off Campus Activity Application” must be submitted five (5) days prior to departure.  More time should be allowed for approval if drivers are included in the proposed drivers list who are not yet Authorized Drivers.     The “Off Campus Activity Application” must include at minimum a list of all participants (drivers and passengers), list of all persons who will be operating the vehicle, a trip itinerary, locations of overnight stays and accommodations, and emergency contact numbers, including cell phones.
E.         Personal Use of University Motor Vehicles


1.         Personal Use Prohibited - Personal use of University motor vehicles is not permitted. De minimis personal use, such as stopping for lunch between business trips, reasonable deviation from the direct route to reach hotels, restaurants, etc., during the normal course of conducting University business is an extension of business use and is not considered personal use. Examples of inappropriate use would be using a University motor vehicle for shopping, entertainment, recreation, or vacation purposes unrelated to University business. Commuting to and from home is not permitted. However, employees may use University motor vehicles between their home and place of work if, for example, they are beginning or ending a trip at home due to the hour of arrival or departure.


2.         Exceptions for Pre-Approved Commuting - Exceptions may be granted to allow commuting to and from home only under specific circumstances where the University requires the employee to commute to and from work in a University motor vehicle. The reasons for such use must be documented and approved by the employee’s Vice President. No personal use of University motor vehicles is permitted. In the event of a medical emergency individual use of an assigned University vehicle would not be deemed personal use.


3.         Procedure to Request Exceptions – Request for exceptions to this policy may be requested in writing to the Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning who after consultation with University Counsel, University Risk Manager, (and Cabinet if necessary) will rule on the request.


V.         Personal Vehicle Use for Authorized University Business


1.         Personally owned vehicles are not considered part of the University fleet or motor pool.  Departments are encouraged to schedule University motor pool vehicles for official University travel whenever possible.  However, in circumstances in which using a personally owned vehicle is mutually beneficial to the University and the employee, a personally owned vehicle may be used for Authorized University business provided:


a)         The driver is an Authorized Driver


b)         Use of the personal vehicle has been approved in writing by the respective department head.


2.         Individuals driving personally owned vehicles on Authorized University business warrant and certify that their insurance limits for liability, uninsured and underinsured vehicle insurance, are at least $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident, and further agree to indemnify and hold the University harmless from any and all matters related to or arising from the operation of their personal vehicle for University matters.


3.         Mileage reimbursement for pre-approved travel using a personal vehicle is limited to the established reimbursement amount per mile traveled for Authorized University Business.  Reimbursement claims must be submitted using the University’s “Mileage Reimbursement Form.”



VI.        Vehicle Etiquette


Motorpool vehicles are provided for use by the University community to enhance its ability to conduct its business and activities. Authorized Drivers are representatives of the University and must use the vehicle(s) judiciously, observing all traffic laws and courtesies. 


A.         Vehicle and Driver Safety


Always lock the vehicle when left unattended and park in well-lighted areas at night or populated areas during the day. Always report acts of vandalism to local law enforcement, secure a police report and contact Transportation Services for an accident or damage loss form. The Transportation Services Manager or his/her designee will timely submit an online “Incident Report” using the established process.


B.         Lost or Stolen Property


Always remove valuables from view inside the vehicle or lock them in the trunk. Upon completion of the rental, always check the vehicle for materials left behind. If a subsequent Authorized Driver or facilities services employee encounters materials left behind by a previous vehicle user, the materials should be taken to Transportation Services or Campus Police.

C.         Vehicle Cleanliness


Please remove any remaining trash or debris from the vehicle after use; the next user will appreciate it, and it will eliminate the chance of being charged for vehicle cleaning.


D.         Smoking in University Vehicles


Smoking is prohibited in University vehicles.


E.         Early Vehicle Access and Late Returns


Please respect the confirmed rental terms.  Picking up or delivering vehicles at other times will disrupt someone else’s scheduled use.  Should circumstances change or emergencies arise, contact Transportation Services at 765-677-2313 during office hours to make additional arrangements. If after hours, call the emergency contact number identified in the rental materials, identify the Authorized Driver for the rental, state the vehicle number, and explain the situation to the operator.  Please note that rental extensions are not automatically granted, and renters could be liable for special service call charges.


F.         Off-Road Use


Off-road use (i.e., non-paved roadway) of University vehicles is prohibited; the user and/or department will be liable for all damages and cleaning which may result from this type of use.


VII.       Rental Procedures and Information


A.         Vehicle Reservations and Cancellations


Vehicle reservations are made in writing using a "Vehicle Request Form" form found on the IWU website at  It is best to call Transportation Services (x2313) prior to submitting the reservation form to determine vehicle availability. Authorized Drivers must show a valid driver's license before the vehicle is released.


1.         Required Rental Information: The following information is required for all reservations: start and end dates and times, Authorized Driver's name(s), contact number(s), department name, account number to be charged, and destination. Vehicles will not be released with incomplete reservation forms.


2.         Vehicle Availability:  Vehicle reservations are provided on a first come, first served basis, and vehicle requests can be made as far as six (6) months in advance. Vehicles reservations are considered confirmed when a completed reservation form is returned by Transportation Services to the requesting department. Transportation Services cannot “hold” a vehicle without a confirmed reservation.

3.         Active Reservations: The vehicle reservation becomes active once Transportation Services receives a fully completed “Vehicle Request Form.” Until confirmed, reservations are subject to vehicle cancellation and rental extension policies.


4.         Incomplete and Tentative Reservations: Incomplete or tentative reservations (i.e., non-active) are subject to release to other interested parties.


5.         Multiple Vehicle Reservations:  No more than three (3) University-owned vehicles may be reserved for a single event without the prior approval of the Vice President for Operations and Facilities Planning or his/her designee. Extra seating should be allowed for luggage. If an activity involves more than thirty (30) passengers, then use of IWU vehicles is not appropriate, and a bus charter arrangement is needed (see C below).


6.         Vehicle Fuel and Fueling: Transportation Services will make every effort to provide properly fueled vehicles at the time of each rental; however, the Authorized Driver may be required to refuel the vehicle during the trip. Fuel credit cards are located in the rental materials provided. Original receipts must be returned to Transportation Services when the car is returned. Use regular unleaded fuel when refueling the vehicle.


7.         Vehicle Cancellation:  Failure to provide at least one (1) business day’s notice of rental cancellation may result in a non-cancellation charge to the reserving department.  Cancellations must be made in writing (emails are encouraged). Late notices of vehicle cancellation due to weather or travel hazards will not result in charges if prompt notice is given to Transportation Services.


B.         Commercial Rentals


1.         Supplemental Rental Vehicles:  Transportation Services may, at its discretion, provide a commercial rental vehicle to the requesting department in lieu of a University-owned vehicle.  In these cases, all policies and practices regarding use of University vehicles will apply, and standard vehicle charges will apply.  Additionally, more restrictive rules may also apply to supplemental vehicles as required by the rental agency.


2.         Guests and Visitors:  Visiting speakers, performers, lecturers or other non-employee guests of the University are subject to the University Vehicle Usage and Reservations rules (see Section IV above).


3.         Airport Rentals:  Persons traveling on Authorized University Business may rent a vehicle from an Approved Rental Provider. When signing for rental vehicles, Indiana Wesleyan University Authorized Drivers should sign the rental agreement with their own name, followed by “for Indiana Wesleyan University” or “Indiana Wesleyan University by (renter’s name).”  Drivers should decline all insurance coverage offered by the rental company.


4.         International Rental:  Authorized Drivers who plan to rent vehicles for use on Authorized University Business out of the United States should contact Risk Management before making reservations. Rarely will international rentals be authorized.


C.         Chartered Bus Services


1.         Transportation Services in consultation with Risk Management secures University-approved charter and commercial bus services. Transportation Services is the only department authorized to secure charter and commercial bus services on behalf of IWU.


2.         Bus requests are submitted via the “Vehicle Request Form" form on the IWU website at  The request form should be used to indicate whether a school bus or a coach bus is desired.


3.         Multi-day bus tour itineraries must be typewritten, accurate, detailed, and submitted to Transportation Services at least 21 days (3 Weeks) in advance. It is extremely difficult to verify quality bus service on shorter notice, particularly for long trips out of state.


4.         Unless the requestor specifies otherwise on the “Vehicle Request Form,” the bus will report for loading in front of the Facilities Services Center.


5.         Bus itineraries should include specific street address(es) or clear directions. Requests for airport drop-offs or pick-ups need to provide flight numbers, departure/arrival times, airline information, and the time for pick-up or drop-off.


6.         At a minimum, a seven-day notice is required to cancel bus reservations.  Cancellation charges may apply.


D.         Usage Costs


1.         Fuel: see Section VII (A)(6) above.


2.         Tolls and fees: All tolls, parking and other incidental charges are the responsibility of the renting Department.


3.         Citations: All parking, moving violations or other traffic citations or fines are the responsibility of the Authorized Driver.

4.         University Charges:


Taking vehicle early/returning it late                    $25.00


Excessively dirty interior                                                $25.00 minimum


Non-cancellation of vehicle                                $25.00


Late cancellation fees for bus services               Passed to Department


Failure to report an accident                               $500.00 max.


5.         Billing: Departments using University provided vehicles are billed monthly against the account number provided on the request form.  Payment by cash, credit card, or other means is not available.


E.         Vehicle Pick-up Procedures


1.         The keys and mileage forms for reserved vehicles may be picked up from the Facilities Services Center on the day of a scheduled usage and on Friday for weekend usage. The keys and forms must be picked up between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Pick-ups outside of these times require prior special arrangements with Transportation Services.


2.         Please allow adequate time when picking up a vehicle for driver verification. Verification may take a few minutes to complete.


3.         Missing Rental Vehicles: If when arriving to pick up a reserved vehicle the vehicle cannot be located, contact Transportation Services, Campus Police or call the number listed in the rental materials and explain the situation to the officer or operator.


F.         Vehicle Return Procedures


1.         At the completion of the rental period, the driver is required to record the ending mileage (current odometer reading) and the return date and time on the vehicle mileage card contained within the rental materials. The vehicle should be returned to the motor pool lot, and the keys returned to the Transportation Services Office or placed in the “after hours” key drop slot.


2.         Rental Completion:  A vehicle rental is considered complete and services closed only when the vehicle, vehicle keys, rental materials including fuel credit card (if applicable) and completed mileage record are returned to Transportation Services. If the vehicle return date and time is not recorded, additional charges may be accrued.

3.         Any vehicle damage, maintenance concerns, or unusual circumstances should be immediately reported at the conclusion of the trip.  Cost to repair damage resulting from a preventable accident or other negligent damage may be fully or partially charged to the requesting department.


VIII.       Trip and Route Safety


A.         General Requirements


1.         Passenger Capacity: No drivers shall transport more passengers in a vehicle than the vehicle is designed to haul. In most cases this is the same as the number of factory-installed seat belts in the vehicle.


2.         Seatbelt Usage: If a University-owned vehicle is equipped with seat belts or safety restraints, all occupants of the vehicle must use the restraints as they were designed to be used at all times when the vehicle is in operation. An exception to this policy is granted if an occupant presents a physician’s statement stating that compliance is not possible or would be harmful to that person (e.g., a medical device that would be compromised by a shoulder belt).


3.         Front passenger seat: On any trip with one or more passengers, drivers should make sure that the front passenger seat is occupied.  Drivers should remind this passenger that it is his or her responsibility to help the driver stay alert and to assist with directions and maps.


4.         Trailers: Use of trailers is subject to driver qualifications outlined at Section III (A)(2).  IWU vehicles can only pull trailers issued by Transportation Services.


5.         Vehicle top carriers: No vehicle top or other carriers are permitted to be used on any University provided vehicles unless installed by Transportation Services.


6.         Modifications: No modifications to motor pool vehicles (ski or bike racks, antennae, stickers, signs, tow hitches, seat removal, etc.) shall be made except by Transportation Services.


7.         Radar detectors: The use of radar, laser or other speed monitoring detection systems is not permitted.


8.         Cell phones: Use of a cell phone by a driver in a moving vehicle is inherently dangerous.  Cell phones should only be used by passengers or by drivers who have pulled over and stopped in a safe location unless a hands-free system is used. Use of a cell phone or messaging device by a driver for  checking or sending text messages or email while a vehicle is in motion is prohibited.


9.         Medications: Authorized Drivers should take special note that certain medications may cause drowsiness or other physical or mental impairment and govern their driving accordingly.


10.        CB and listening devices: Use of CB, portable radios, other portable listening devices, such as MP3 players (“iPODs®”) and portable CD players by drivers in a moving vehicle is inherently dangerous.  These devices should only be used by passengers or by drivers who have pulled over and stopped in a safe location. Use of headphones or earbuds by the driver is prohibited. Exception: Campus Police officers and Facilities/Grounds Services may use communication devices consistent with their job descriptions.


11.        Hitchhikers: Picking up hitchhikers is prohibited.


12.        Loads: Hauling loads that could structurally damage the University-provided vehicle is prohibited. When desiring to haul bulky, awkward or hazardous cargo, drivers must consult with Transportation Services to confirm proper vehicle selection and hauling capacities.


13.        Grounding the Fleet or Motor Pool Vehicles:  Transportation Services reserves the right to control the use of its vehicles and to ground some or all of its vehicles as is deemed necessary.


14.        Weather and Road Conditions:  Authorized Drivers are responsible to obtain weather information before and during daily travel to determine if road or weather conditions present hazards along their planned travel route and plan their trip accordingly.

B.         Athletic Events:


1.         Coaches should exercise good judgment when permitting athletes to drive university vehicles following competition in athletic events. Athletes experiencing fatigue or injuries following athletic competition should not be permitted to operate a University vehicle.


2.         Athletes who did not compete that day, or who are otherwise deemed by the coach to be fit to drive a University vehicle, may be permitted to drive university vehicles provided: (A) they are otherwise Authorized Drivers, and (B) have been specifically identified as a potential driver in the trip request. All such drivers must notify and receive approval from the coach before using a University vehicle. 


C.         Driving Time Limits


1.         Trips and events should be planned so that no Authorized Drivers are expected or pressured to begin driving during the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m.


2.         Use of a University-provided vehicle should not exceed fifteen (15) continuous hours in a 24-hour period and drivers should avoid driving more than two (2) hours at a stretch without a break.  The maximum time a driver is authorized to drive in a 24-hour period is (8) hours which may be further reduced by poor weather or traffic conditions.


3.         Commercial Bus Driver Limitations:  The U. S. Department of Transportation Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety has established the following regulations to be used as guidelines in planning itineraries for tours and multiple-day trips. Commercial bus drivers are limited to:


a)         Fifteen (15) consecutive hours of duty in any one day.


b)         A maximum of ten (10) of these fifteen (15) hours may be driving    hours.


c)         Upon reaching a destination (and the driver’s total driving hours having been used), the driver must have a minimum of eight (8) hours off before local service may be performed or an extended period of driving may begin.


d)         Touring departments are responsible for arranging lodging and food for bus drivers on multiple-day trips.


D.         Preventive Maintenance on Trips


1.         Fluid levels: It is the responsibility of the driver to monitor and maintain proper oil and coolant levels, particularly if the vehicle is being used for an extended time period or driven an extended distance.


2.         Mechanical failures: Mechanical problems that might make a vehicle unsafe to drive should be immediately reported to Transportation Services via telephone or by contacting Campus Police. In cases of actual breakdown or mechanical failure, Transportation Services should be contacted through Campus Police at 765-677-4911, the Transportation Services emergency number at 765-

618-2722 or the regular Transportation Services number at 765-677-2313 before tow trucks are summoned or repairs are made. Costs for unauthorized repairs might not be reimbursed.


E.         Pre- and Post-trip inspections


1.         Pre-trip inspections: Drivers should not operate a vehicle until they complete a pre-trip inspection, including a dent and damage check, according to procedures developed by Transportation Services. Drivers should be satisfied that all necessary parts and components are in good working order.


2.         Post-trip inspections: Post-trip inspections should be conducted by the Authorized Driver. Unusual noises, awkward operation, or other problems should be reported according to procedures developed by Transportation Services. Signed post-trip inspection forms and mileage logs are to be turned in with vehicle keys to Transportation Services.


F.         Reporting Accidents and Vehicle Damage


1.         Post-Incident Procedures: Report all vehicle damage using the information contained in the glove compartment or in the rental materials provided.


2.         Reporting of Accidents:  It is the responsibility of all Authorized Drivers to report all accidents involving a University-provided vehicle, regardless of damage. Accidents that occur on IWU property must by reported immediately to IWU Campus Police at 765-677-4911. Accidents that occur elsewhere must be reported immediately to the nearest law enforcement agency, Risk Management at 765-677-2874, and IWU Transportation Services at 765-677-2313.  Additionally, drivers must:


a)         Call or have someone call law enforcement and give all pertinent information, but do not leave the scene or move the vehicle.


b)         Contact their supervisor as soon as possible.


c)         Assist injured persons but do not attempt to move them unless there is a clear and immediate danger to life.


d)         Obtain the names of witnesses, insurance information and other pertinent facts and forward those to Risk Management and Transportation Services.


e)         Do not leave the scene of the accident until given permission by a law enforcement authority.  


3.         Representatives from Risk Management and Transportation Services will review all accidents.  If possible and appropriate, the vehicles and accident site will be examined.


4.         Financial Remunerations: In the event that the investigation determines that the IWU driver is at fault, their respective department will be responsible for costs not otherwise covered by insurance.


This policy applies to all the employees of the University.


19-Mar-2015 - Date conversion to KB


Policy information

Employee Policy 300.08.04


Executive Director for Human Resources

Approved by

Vice President for Business Affairs/ CFO

  • Was this article helpful?