If you are a student or guest at the Marion campus, the following instructions will help you connect your network cable, configure your computer and web browser and login to the Internet. If you want to connect to the wireless network at IWU see Setup IWU-Student Wireless in Windows XP. Feel free to call extension 2209 if you need any assistance.
Ethernet Network Card
In order to connect to the Internet your computer must have an Ethernet network card installed. Most newer computers will have one built in. It will look something like this…
If you do not already have a network card, they can be purchased from a store that sells electronics such as Staples or Walmart. Just follow the included instructions to install the new card.
Configure Windows XP
Follow these steps to configure Windows XP to automatically obtain an IP Address.
- Open the Start Menu and select Control Panel.
Configure Web Browser
If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer and go to the Tools Menu
- Select Internet Options
- Click the Connections Tab
- Check the ”Never Dial a Connection” box
- Click the LAN Settings button
- Uncheck all of the boxes and click OK.
If you are using Mozilla Firefox 2.0:
- Open Firefox and go to the Tools Menu
- Select Options…
- Click Advanced and then select the Network Tab
- Check the Settings button
- Select ”Direct connection to the Internet.”
Login to iPrism
When you open your web browser to access the Internet you will be prompted to login to the IWU web filtering system called iPrism.
If you are a student, login with the username and PIN number provided to you at registration. For most people the username/PIN will be:
Username: firstname.lastname PIN: <last six digits of social security number>
NOTE: This is also the username and password for your email and IWU portal.
Guests can acquire a temporary username and password from the Information Desk in the Student Center or by calling extension 2209.