Turnitin is a plagiarism-prevention and detection feature, which checks documents for unoriginal content.
PDF File Instructor Access: https://kb.indwes.edu/@api/deki/files/3822/Turnitin1.1.pdf
PDF File Student Access: https://kb.indwes.edu/@api/deki/files/4509/Turnitin_for_Students.pdf
Turnitin is a plagiarism-prevention and detection feature, which checks documents for unoriginal content. Other tools included with Turnitin are GradeMark (online grading and feedback) and PeerMark (peer review) services.
- Go to the "Dropbox" on the top toolbar.
- Click on "Edit" next to the assignment you wish to run through Turnitin.
- Put a check in the box for Turnitin.
- Save Changes
- You can also click on "Settings" (globe with paper icon) and change the settings, etc.
- Click on Optional Settings and choose your settings (instructions below). You can also put in the point value which will allow you to import grades from Turnitin to the Gradebook. In addition, you can make your start date, due date, and post date specific. Note: The "Post Date" needs to be set on the day or before you send back the Turnitin assignments or your students will not be able to view comments left in GradeMark.
Now that you clicked on "Optional Settings" you have many more choices. There is a particular option you will need to change in order to save time and frustration. Under "Originality Report", you will see an option titled, "Allow students to see "Originality Reports". It is defaulted to "no" and you will need to change that choice to "yes" by clicking on the button next to it. See screen shot below.
- Once you have your options chosen, Click Submit at the bottom of your screen.
- Input the score of the paper next to the percentage. In the screenshot below it shows 75%. I would input the grade next to that 75%. Once you have all your grading completed X out of the Turnitin page.
- Go back to the Dropbox
- Click the red Import button to import your grades into the gradebook.
GradeMark is a feature of Turnitin. It allows an instructor to edit and grade student work online. This includes QuickMark, a quick comment tool. Let’s begin.
- Click on the Dropbox tab on the top toolbar if not already inside of Turnitin. Follow the directions above to access Turnitin.
- After accessing Turnitin and entering the points for the assignment, click Submit and you will be directed to a new screen that will look like the screenshot below.
- Click on the blue “View” link next to the assignment you want.
- The paper will appear.
- Click on the GradeMark tab.
- You will now be in the GradeMark screen.
- Click on the icon that has dots with dashes. This will pull down the options. Note: APA is not a default option. If you want to include APA, you will need to build your own APA option.
- Select the comment you want to include in the paper by dragging and dropping. You may also enter your own comment.
- If you have not already entered the score, you can enter it next to the percentage of similar, then X out if you are done.
Turnitin (Instructor Submission for Student)
- Click on the Dropbox on the top toolbar.
- Click on Edit next to the assignment that you want to submit the paper to.
- Click Settings
- A pop up window will appear. Click on Submit (if you already have your settings done).