Kurzweil 3000 + Firefly is a comprehensive reading, writing and learning software solution for any student, including individuals with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, attention deficit disorder or those who are English language learners. This software may also helpful for individuals with low vision or who are blind.
- reading - text-to-speech
- writing - planning and organizing writing and hearing your writing read back to you
- study tools - organizing content, listening to content, highlighting, embedding notes, vocabulary tools
- Kurzweil 3000 runs on Mac and Windows and the Firefly app can be used for iPad or on the web as on online application.
- Use of the software requires an Internet connection but it can be used in "offline mode" for up to 72 hours.
Accessing the Software
The University has a site license and any IWU student or employee may download and use it. The installation files may be downloaded at the following websites (use the web license download):
The web-based companion, named “Firefly” may be accessed at the following link:
Firefly functions much like Kurzweil 3000 but there is no installation required.
There is also an app for iPad which may be downloaded for free. In the iTunes store, search “k3000.”
Using the Software
Students can self-subscribe to Kurzweil 3000 at the link below or they can contact the Center for Student Success for a login and password at 765-677-2257.
A username and password will be generated and emailed to the student.
Read-the-Web Browser Add Ins
To install Chrome extensions:
- Launch Chrome.
- In the address bar type “Chrome web store”
- Click on the link to go to the Chrome Web Store
- In the search field, type “k3000”
- Click “Add to Chrome” for both the k3000 app and the Read the Web extension.
(K3000 does not need to be installed on the computer to use either the app or the extension.)
To activate Firefox:
- From within the Kurzweil 3000 app, select Tools Menu
- Select Options
- Select Read
- Select Mozilla Firefox
(In order to activate Firefox, K3000 does need to be installed on the computer.)
If password is forgotten, you can request a new one by clicking “Forgot Password” at https://www.kurzweil3000.com/KLogin.php. Kurzweil will then send a link to reset your password.
Within the Kurzweil 3000 app, you may access the Universal Library. In the Universal Library, under "Indiana Wesleyan University," there is a section called "public" and under this heading is a section called "k3000_workshop_handouts." These files give extensive information and instruction on using the software.