Policies, Procedures and Request Form
Items to Consider Before Making a Request
Consider the following before requesting a flat panel HDTV:
Please be aware that consumer electronics, like TV’s and Apple TV’s have a predictable lifespan, typically between 5-10 years, after which IWU requires the owner to fund the replacement of the equipment, due to the following concerns of aging equipment:
- expiration of warranty (we purchase 4 or 5-year protection plans with all flat panel Tvs larger than 65". Warranty is optional for smaller sizes);
- perception of quality (unfortunately, the perception of the IWU brand can be negatively influenced by equipment which looks old, unkempt, or damaged);
- security liability or vulnerability, especially of devices connected to the (wired or wireless) network;
- availability of support (labor and parts);
- efficiency (newer electronics almost always consume less power than older electronics).
- safety of people who may be in proximity of the electronic devices. Environments with high humidity, exposure to chemicals or excessive dust are more prone to ignite, or melt plastics, which can emit harmful odor.
Financial impact planning
Please be aware that there are financial implications attached to the purchase and installation of a flat panel HDTV which include (but are not limited to) the following:
- There are electrical costs, both of installation, and ongoing power consumption.
- There are HVAC costs, because electronic devices do emit heat, which can increase the cost of cooling, and can alter the effectiveness of thermostats located nearby,
- There are networking costs/considerations related to devices connecting to the wired and wireless network.
Renewal or refresh of equipment
IWU’s Information Technology department requires an equipment refresh cycle for all equipment that is managed by them. Therefore, it is a requirement that you to budget for the replacement of this equipment. Below are the timeframes for equipment lifecycles:
- Digital Signage - or any display that sees more than 6 hours of on time per day or per weekday
- 4 years from date of purchase
- General Display Usage - Offices, Classrooms etc.
- 7 years from date of purchase
To discuss the predicted life span of equipment in your department or office space, please contact the office of Institutional Media Technologies.