Once your alumni account is created, you will receive an email from email@example.com with the subject line "Alumni Email Created & Available!". Once you have that email, you may proceed to the steps below for your first time signing in.
- Visit https://outlook.office.com
- Enter your full alumni email address as it appears in the email with your password
- Enter your initial password from the email
- You'll then be prompted to setup a NEW password
- The password must be at least 8 characters in length
- The password must have 3 of the following 4 options:
- lowercase characters (abc...)
- uppercase characters (ABC...)
- special characters ($%*...)
- numbers (123...)
- Avoid using a password you've used on other sites/services
- Try to use a passphrase instead of a single word or bundle of special characters
After setting up your new password, you'll need to add multi-factor authentication to your account:
On the next screen you'll be guided through setting up Microsoft Authenticator. Or, you can select "I want to setup a different method" to setup other means of authentication such as Email and Text Message. If you have a smart phone we strongly recommend utilizing the Microsoft Authenticator app. It is a faster way to verify your identity and is the most secure option.
Two total methods of authentication are required. These can be any combination of: Authenticator App, Email, Text / Call. However, for two factor authentication, Microsoft does NOT allow the use of a personal email.
A personal email may only be used for purposes of password recovery or reset.
Clicking on the "I want to setup a different method" gives you this menu to select from:
If you click "Skip Setup" at any point in the process, you'll be re-prompted to setup your alternate methods of authentication on future logins. This will repeat until you complete the process entirely.
This is what was achieved and what was omitted in this how-to.