After completing this how-to you will have knowledge needed to add a setting to a discussion topic that will require students to post first before seeing the posts of their classmates. For other guides on the Discussion tool, see the Discussions topic page.
1. To access the Discussions tool select the "Activities" icon from the course navbar.
2. From the "Activities" menu, select the "Discussions" icon.
3. The "post first" setting can be added to an existing or new discussion topic.
3a. To add the "post first" setting to an existing discussion topic, select the dropdown menu next to the chosen discussion topic.
i. From the dropdown menu, select "Edit Topic".
3b. To add the setting to a new discussion topic, select the dropdown menu with the "New" button and choose "New Topic". For more information on creating a new Discussion topic, see the "How to Create a Discussion Topic" guide.
4. Within the Properties tab, scroll down to the "Options" section and select the checkbox next to "Users must start a thread before they can read and reply to other threads".
5. Select the "Save and Close" or "Save" button to save the changes.